Little purple pansies, touched with yellow gold,
Growing in one corner of the garden old
We are very tiny but must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

In whatever corner we may chance to grow,
Whether cold or warm the wind may ever blow,
Dark the day or sunny, we must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tell Me Another Story

This afternoon Mother was reminded of when she was a child sitting after dinner in the breakfast nook with Elizabeth Ann and GA (her brother and sister) asking their mother to tell stories about when she was a girl. They loved hearing the stories and sometimes her mother would say, "Oh, you've heard that one," but they would ask for her to tell it again! Mother said, "She didn't tell all the stories about her childhood!" I guess she was saving those other stories for their aunts and uncles to tell them during their summer visits to Logan!

Do we have a picture of that breakfast nook on Selby? I loved eating off of Grandma's red patterned dishes in that little room with all the windows overlooking the backyard. And I loved opening the old door in the kitchen that used to be the icebox! I always tried to picture mother growing up in that house.

Mother said that after her father left, she was always hoping for dessert after dinner. But desserts were expensive and not had very often after that. She never even thought about calories then! (and still doesn't need to!)

4 comments:

  1. The stories Mother didn't tell were the ones about her various forms of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I guess Grandma Harmon didn't want to give you kids any great ideas. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the stories Grandma Harmon's mother told. Grandma Shaw spent a couple of weeks with us when I was a freshman in high school She must have shared many of the stories Grandma Harmon didn't share. I can still see petite Grandma Shaw sitting in our big upholstered rocking chair (it was brown) relating the story of Grandma (Bessie) and Minnie (her older sister) visiting the dentist. The story ended with Grandma Shaw imitating Bessie by raising both hands and saying, "Minnie saved my life, Minnie saved my life!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have the same story-teller, but I definatly remember "Minnie saved my life. Minnie saved my life"

    ReplyDelete